Monday, February 25, 2008

G&W - Bavarian Style Sausage Company

This small sausage company located in South St. Louis has great sausages, smoked meats, and atmosphere.

This past Saturday morning, my dad and I were in search of some good sausage, and we were not left wanting. The place is a small building sandwiched between old car dealerships on a road that dead ends at some train tracks. But don't let the outside fool you, or the large bull painting frighten you, inside lurks yummy foods worth the drive. Walking in you find yourself in a small room with 3 large meet cases full of assorted fresh and smoked/curred sausages, fresh meats, cured meats, and cheese along with a variety of Germanic focused dry goods. A few guys are working behind the counter, cutting meat, swapping stories, doling out cooking advice, and tossing you a free beer if the line gets too long (meaning > 2 people, I declined given that it was 9am and I hadn't eaten anything yet).

After sampling a few of their homemade delicacies, we ended up getting an assortment of things: shinkenwurst, smoky and spicy landjager, some great jerky, breakfast sausage, garlic bratwurst, another ham bases sausage, some "black forest" ham sliced paper thin ...

Everything was great and reminded me a ton of my grandpa who was a German-American through and through and didn't consider a day done until he had meat+potatoes and probably some kind of sausage. Sauerkraut, a plus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

G&W is a St. Louis Classic! I was just there this afternoon, and yes, I had a free beer (busch of course). I came away with breakfast sausages, Salsiccia and some Cajun meat stick. What a great place!