Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fish Fry #2 - A MORE Sacred Heart

This past Friday, Em and I got our weekly fish-fix at the Most Sacred Heart Catholic Church Fish Fry in Eureka (yes, they really are the most ... way more sacred heart than our parish).

My one word review? Wow.

They had their act together. Firstly, there was a line of cars trying to get into the parking lot (usually the sign of good or slow fish fry). The only menu choice was between a small and large plate (small being one server, large being all-you-can eat) but at $6/$9 very reasonable. They made up the plates as you walked up (no side choices) which was great for getting the zillions of people through the line quickly, but left everyone getting the same 3 sides (all good: pasta, coleslaw, and green beans). The fish was tasty, the sides were good, and your dinner included drink, desert and bread.

Me being me, I had to get the all-you-can-eat plate ... but they gave you so much food on your first plate, that I really didn't need a second. I pushed on, however, and got in line for some more fish and coleslaw, but got there in time for them to be in-between fish batches which was drastically slowing up both the eat-in and carry-out lines. I figured I would chalk up my extra $3 dollars as a donation and get back to the table where Em's and my deserts were waiting for me (Em gave up sweets for lent). After a slice of homemade cherry pie and lemon cake ... I was done.

All in all, very good. However, get there early!

(The previous week we ended up going out to a local pub/restaurant for dinner and didn't go to a fish fry)

No comments: