Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I have decided to take up smoking

of the BBQ variety.

I mentioned to my dad the other day that I was considering getting a smoker this summer, but wasn't sure how often I would use it nor anything really about them. He mentioned that he had thought the same thing for several years but had failed to pull the trigger. So, we decided that this summer, things were gonna change.

Only problem is, we still don't know much about smokers. A very brief google search turned up numerous providers building several different kinds of smokers. We don't need or want something huge (ideally something that could be transported in a car/truck assuming it was semi-clean) but there are many choices along the way (e.g. style, size, fuel, etc). On first glance I am leaning toward an electric or gas model b/c it seems like unless you going to have a large smoker and do logs, the fuel isn't providing any flavor, just heat to the wood chips. And while I don't mind tending a fire, I have other things I would prefer doing.

Anyone have any experience with smokers,
and would like to share your thoughts?

No comments: