Saturday, February 9, 2008

First Fish Fry, Funny Pictures, and the Future

Last night Em and I took in our first fish fry of the season at Sacred Heart Church and it was a great kickoff. $8.50 got you the platter:
  • 2 Pieces of fish (any mix of breaded cod, baked telapia, or jack salmon)
  • 3 shrimp
  • 2 sides (green beans, spaghetti, coleslaw, or fries)
  • bread
  • drink (water, tea, coffee, lemonade)
  • desert (homemade cakes, pies, brownies, etc)
A great deal, good food, and since we got there just after 5 (and took the back way) we didn't have to wait long at all. The only thing missing was mac-n-cheese, but given the quantities I won't hold it against them. They also had numerous other combinations of dishes (sandwiches, all shrimp plates, etc) which was nice. All in all, a great start to the Fish Fry season.

----------------


Truth in advertising?
A poorly laid out sign at our local supermarket.
I believe the brand was "Never Ever"....

-----------------

Between tonight and tomorrow I am going to try and make two new dishes. First will be the Miso Soup with Sweet Potato Dumplings recipe I linked to a few posts ago. It sounds and looks great. Second, I am going to try and make braised beef short-ribs in a vareitty of ways. I was thinking to get a few pounds of English-cut ribs and try doing a couple Alton Brown's way, a few with a BBQ inspired rub, and maybe a few in a more traditional pot-roast way. It will really depend on how many I get and how motivated I stay. Wish me luck.

No comments: