Friday, August 24, 2007

Kolache Friday!

Did you know that today was Kolache Friday? As it turns out, the past 3 Fridays have been Kolache Fridays at my work (although I was only here for 2 of them).

What is a Kolache? you ask ... Simply, yummyness wrapped in a bun.


According the wikipedia (don't freak out mom), Kolaches are originally an eastern European dish. They are small sweet rolls filled with any number of sweet and/or savory ingredients. Today, I was lucky enough to have an egg+potato+cheese kolache as well as a sausage+cheese+jalepeno kolache. Other options were various egg mixes, spinache and cheese, and a few fruit ones.


You may ask, Are they only a breakfast food? No. According to the KolacheFactory.com website, they are not. They have many that are filled with traditional breakfast fillings (cheeses, eggs, fruits, etc) but they also have ones that are much more lunch/dinner type fillings (e.g. chicken and vegtables). I can only suspect that they would be yummy at any time of day.


My bosses boss is in love with the things and is quickly making sure that everyone else in our wing of the building is as well. The wednesday before Emily and I went to Chicago, he stopped by our team room to inform everyone that we were in for a Kolache Friday coming up and that we should all be prepared and get in early. When he realized I knew nothing of their traditions, he proceeded to describe these lovely pillows of goodness as best he could (as if words can describe them) and informed us all that no matter what we are doing, when you see the email come out saying they are here, tell whoever you are on the phone with you will call them back and RUN. Don't walk, RUN .... and get them while they are hot.


Good advice in my book.


Well, the last 3 weeks have all turned out to be Kolache Fridays and I am all for it. They are delicious. According to wikipedia several random small towns across the midwest lay claim as being Kolache capitals of ____. One may need to be added to the yet to be finalized BBQ tour of America.


If you in an area that happens to have a Kolache Factory bakery, or ever see them on the menu ... I highly recommend picking a few dozen up. Think hot pocket without the artificial flavors, texture and preservatives. Don't get me wrong, I love hot pockets, but these things got them beat.
[picture taken from the Kolache Factory website]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to control my freakout at wikipedia levels - just for you - but it's pretty tough. Kolaches are yummy though, don't need no wikipedia to tell me that!

mom