Thursday, January 17, 2008

Balsamic Cranberry Sauce

I really like cranberries, but until recently I had never cooked with fresh ones before. So I wan excited when Em and I decided to make a chicken recipe that called for them. The dish was really good, but the chicken portion wasn't anything really new or exciting. The cranberry sauce/glaze was, so here is what I can remember of how to make it...

Ingredients
  • 2 cp fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cp sugar
  • 1/4 cp balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cp water
  • dash salt and pepper
Steps
  1. In the same pan used for the chicken, add all of the liquids plus the cranberries to a boil
  2. add sugar and salt/pepper while stirring
  3. simmer, stirring occasionally, until thicken and reduced by at least half (aprox. 5 minutes)
Thoughts

At first I was worried about the cranberries since they were fairly hard to start out with and brightly colored (which looked nothing like the sauce in the picture), but over time the cranberries began to "pop" and cook down turning the whole mess a great deep burgundy color. The smell of balsamic was pretty overpowering at first, but by the time the sauce was done it had mellowed and the whole thing was great over the chicken.

[ADDED] I just found this recipe for Cranberry Chipotle sauce which has a ton more ingredients but also sounds great.

No comments: