Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dill Lamb Shish-Kabobs and expensive brie

Yesterday Em and I took her parents and grandma out to the latest local Whole Foods Market and picked up some items for a "nice" Sunday meal.

First off, as a sort of appetizer, we purchased a small wedge of what can only be described as some of the best cheese I have ever had. I was perusing the cheese area with the intention of picking out a decent brie or Camembert when I began talking with David, the cheese-monger and a random guy with his wife and son who was picking out several cheeses. After a brief chat and finding out that if I wanted a good mellow brie I "just had to try" this one which was "wicked good" I knew what I needed. We ended up with a wedge of Brillat Savarrin Triple Creme Cow's Milk Cheese. So good. Almost like butter smooth. :-) And at only $30.99/lb very affordable ;-) (the wedge was only 0.13 lbs)

Next up was dinner ... Dill Lamb Shish-Kabobs

Ingredients
  • 1 lb lamb shoulder cut into cubes
  • several sprigs fresh dill, minced
  • 1 tbs chopped garlic
  • 1 container plain yogurt (unsweetened)
  • 3 cp chopped veggies (cherry tomoatoes, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms)
  • olive oil
  • salt + pepper


Steps
  1. marinate the lamb in the yogurt, garlic, dill, salt and pepepr for 2+ hours
  2. chop veggies and coat with olive oil salt and pepper for 30+ minutes
  3. thread onto skewers and grill over a medium fire for 12-15 minutes turning occasionally
  4. serve over rice


Thoughts

I thought the lamb turned out really well considering I don't cook it very often and I wasn't following a specific recipe. Next time I would try some minced mint and lemon juice instead but the dill was very good and not overpowering like I feared it might be. Also, I made a couple yogurt based sauces w/ some leftovers (didn't need as much yogurt as I thought). One had paprika + cumin + cayanne pepper and the other had some more dill, lemon juice and garlic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should demand an apple butter post along with appropriate pictures, but since you are too old to tell you what to do anymore, let it just be a suggestion - Mr Lee